Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Blog 2: Estella

The name Estella suits the character very well. When I think of the name Estella, I think of the word stellar. The exact definition of stellar is "star like" and "leading". Estella is a girl who was taken in by Ms. Havisham, a very wealthy woman. When Pip meets Estella he instantly thinks that she's pretty. When I think of stars, I think of the words "shine" and "beauty". Due to Estella's social status she "shines" to many people, such as the "common" folk. Also when I think of stars, I think of famous people, when I think of famous people I think of bossy/snobby-ness, Estella is a very snobby person and calls Pip a commoner. When Ms. Havisham asks Pip what he thought about Estella, he responded, "I think she is very proud...I think she is very insulting" (61). Also the word "leading" describes Estella very well. When she has an opinion she sticks with it and doesn't follow anyone else (except maybe Ms. Havisham, but that's because she has to). Someone's name can say a lot about them.

2 comments:

  1. I challenge this blog. You said that people look at Estella as an extraordinary kind of person, even though she treats people, like Pip, with large quantities of disrespect. The truth is that people think of her as a disrespectful girl, that doesn't shine, but instead is a horrible human being that does not deserve to roam this planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i Agree with this post, Estella does think of herself very highly. Like on page 34 she talks to Pip by calling him "boy". This shows how she thinks that she is above everyone.

    ReplyDelete